Friday, February 25, 2011

Gluten Free Friday Kickoff!


For the past couple of months I have been getting used to the idea that my life is now gluten free. It has been a hard transition and I am still learning a lot about how to be completely gluten free. I became gluten free after reading my friend Carrie's blog, Organic and Thrifty, and more specifically a book she recommended called "Why do I Still have Thyroid Symptoms? When my Lab Tests are Normal" My hair is no longer falling out, my vision is no long blurred throughout the day and my energy level is definitely up. If I do cheat and have some gluten I can definitely tell so I try to stay on the straight and narrow. I am grateful that I do not have severe symptoms from eating gluten.

So for my first Gluten Free Friday recipe I have made over one of my families all time favorites.

Coke Roast



Ingredients

2-3 lb roast
2 boxes of Pacific Natural Foods Organic Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 packets of Road's End Organics Gluten Free Quick Gravy mix
24 oz of Coke (full sugar not diet)
5 Carrots
5 Celery Stalks
1 Large Onion
15-20 Fingerling Potatoes (not pictured)
10-20 Button Mushrooms

Chop up all the vegetables and place in the bottom of your crock pot. Place roast, fat side up, in the crock pot on top of the vegetables. Combine soups, gravy mix and soda in a mixing bowl and pour over your roast. Turn crock pot on low and cook for 6-8 hours. Flipping the roast about 1/2 way through the cooking time helps it to cook evenly.

Once the cooking time is up I usually make some gravy out of the juices and sauce mix. To do this I put 2 tablespoons of butter along with 2 tablespoons of gluten free flour mix in a pan on the stove to create a roux. Once the roux looks right I add as much of the juices as I need to make enough gravy for our family. I also add beef bouillon to this mixture to taste.

Enjoy!



I now invite you to link up one of your families favorite gluten free recipes. And please remember to use my button on the bottom of your post so that others can link up as well.

Mommie of 4 Munchkins





No comments: