Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Best Salad EVER!


So last April I rode the train for the very first time ever and when it came time to have dinner I wandered down to the snack car and bought myself a salad. It was the best salad EVER, and tonight I recreated that salad because I LOVE it and lets face it, it's too expensive to take a train ride just for the salad, although this weekend I got to enjoy two of those salads as I was taking the train to run a 5K! So because I love this salad so much I am going to share my recipe with you!

Linsay's Farmer's Market Salad

Cran-Raspberry Vinaigrette


2 cups Cranberry Juice
1 cup Fresh Raspberries
2 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS Honey
2 TBS Red Wine Vinegar
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper

Combine Cranberry Juice and Raspberries in a small sauce pan on stove and bring to a boil. Continue to build until it is reduced to 1/2 cup total. Combine with remaining ingredients in the blender on liquify until smooth. Resist tasting as you won't be able to stop.

Salad

1 Apple chopped (I used Pink Lady)
1/2 Cup Chopped Dried Apricots
3/4 Cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 Cup Sliced Almonds
2.5 oz Blue Cheese
1/2 Bag of Baby Spinach
1/2 Bag of Chopped Romaine Lettuce

Layer lettuce, Blue Cheese, Sliced Almonds, Dried Cranberries, Dried Apricots and Apple in a large salad bowl. Served topped with Cran-Raspberry Vinaigrette. ENJOY!! If you try this you have to tell me if you like it. Everyone in our house besides Lippy Lou LOVED it. I can't believe 3 out of 4 kids enjoyed the blue cheese!



Want more great summer recipes? Check out Works for Me Wednesday on We are THAT family!

works for me wednesday at we are that family

This post is also linked to Foodie Friday, check it out!

2 comments:

KimMalk said...

Wow, this does look like the best salad ever. I'm going to bookmark it and let you know when I make it. Do you think substituting feta for the blue cheese would make a difference? (My kids prefer feta--see the salad on my right sidebar :)). You might want to link this up on Friday with http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/ She has a beautiful blog. Blessings.

Mom2fur said...

Oh, my gosh, this sounds amazing! I'm going to bookmark it in my recipe file and try it soon. I'll probably sub in Feta cheese since I have it on hand and don't really like blue cheese. (However, I love blue cheese dressing--go figure.)

Frankly, any salad with fruit, cheese and nuts gets my vote!